Flexible Office Space – Exploring the Benefits and Common Misconceptions
The word “flexible” plays a big role in the life of any entrepreneur or small business. Although you spend lots of time carefully crafting plans for your business, you know that you must be open to changes. Your marketing and business plans must allow for flexibility, but what about the plans for your office? Finding flexible office space can be a game-changer and really help contribute to your overall success. We are going to explore a few of the best opportunities and most common misconceptions about working in a flexible, or shared, office space.
Benefits of Flexible Office Space
Flexible, in this case, is defined as “characterized by a ready capability to adapt to new, different, or changing requirements”. (source) Flexible office space understands that your business is constantly changing and offers many opportunities. These opportunities include:
- Lowering your overall business costs without having to work from home. A home office can seem like a great idea but ends up being a difficult environment in which to work. It’s also not the most professional setting for meetings. However, traditional office space can be too costly for a new business to support. Your best solution? A flexible office space offers a lower lease price while still allowing you to impress your important clients. Many flexible offices will also offer services, like internet and phone, that can come at reduced rates since others are also helping contributing to those costs in the building.
- Exposure to your brand and marketing without having to leave the office. Home offices provide little to no chances of networking or exposure for your business. Working at the local coffee shop may offer you a sense of community but will not contribute to your overall success. A flexible office environment allows small businesses to interact with people from many different industries on a daily basis. This opens up chances for revenue, partnerships and camaraderie, all included in the cost of your lease.
- The chance to expand your business when you’re ready. An office set in a flexible environment will offer you plenty of chances to add on new staff or take on new clients. If you plan on growing beyond a one-person operation, flexible offices are still a viable option for you. For example, choosing an office in a building that also offers traditional office solutions could mean taking on a larger space, without having to leave the location where you have already established your business.
Misconceptions of Flexible Office Space
Since the idea of flexible offices is a relatively new one, there are many misconceptions about what the spaces actually are. Here are three of the most common myths about flexible space:
- I will never get any work done because I can hear (see, talk to, etc.) everyone around me. Not all flexible office spaces are open-aired. Many spaces that consider themselves flexible look exactly like traditional office space – with four walls, doors, desks, etc. Choosing a flexible environment does not mean sacrificing your privacy. You can still find an office that allows you to share space and services, without distractions like loud noise or conversations.
- I won’t have help with administrative tasks or with items like greeting clients for meetings. Many office spaces that provide flexible options include staff to help you with items like answering phones and greeting clients. In fact, this actually can be listed as another benefit of these types of offices, since they can save you from having to hire additional staff.
- Flexible office spaces don’t offer the same amenities as other office buildings. This is just not true. Flexible office spaces actually can give you more amenities than some traditional offices. The right flexible space will include items like a fitness center, ample parking, and access to the technology needed for conducting day-to-day business.
It’s important to point out that just because a space is listed as flexible it does not mean that it will offer you the benefits you need while breaking these common misconceptions. You must carefully research and visit any office space you are considering. This is where the Bradley Business Center can really help.
Bradley Business Center boasts a few types of flexible space, or shared office space, options for small businesses. We include the amenities you need, with flexible leasing to help you save on costs. Also, because we also offer warehouse and corporate office space, we can give you a chance to grow your business, without having to leave our amazing North Side Chicago location. Please take a moment to contact our leasing agent and find out for yourself how flexible office space at Bradley Business Center can benefit both you as an entrepreneur and your ever-changing small business plan.